Special Events are variant types of events that occur in the game.
Main events which revolve around the crime or weather in Pogoren.
Many hardships ensue in Winter, but the survivors can prepare by listening to the weather station on the Radio. This isn't necessary - a noticeable drop in temperature will occur several days before Winter arrives - but an extra reminder doesn't hurt. Survivors will also sometimes comment that the weather is becoming colder.
- All looting spots located outside of buildings (most prominently, the Military Outpost, which has three) are empty during winter, so don't count on being able to take supplies from them.
- The Rainwater Collector will not work in during the winter, as the water will freeze. Snow must be gathered from outside the shelter and boiled via the Stove, the Moonshine Still, or the Alcohol Distiller to obtain Clean Water.
- Lower temperatures increase the chance a character getting Sick. They may also freeze to death if the temperature is not high enough.
- Market prices of Wood, Fuel, and Component escalates.
- Various locations will be inaccessible due to snow.
- Franko is less likely to come to Our Shelter.
- There may be a period of time that raiders are not active (due to the extreme cold). This information can only be gathered from listening to the Radio.
Cold Days Have Passed
Winter has passed. Temperatures will begin to rise again, anywhere between 1-4 days after Winter has passed.
Outbreak of Crime
The crime rate escalates rapidly in the city. During this event, Raids occur daily, and these raiders are often more vicious than the usual raiders. Notably, on the day this event begins (indicated by a different day intro picture and the words "Outbreak of Crime" below the Day number), there are no raids. (Update: Playing on Android, version 1.3.8, a raid took place on the first night of the Outbreak and, while raids were more frequent and vicious, there were a few nights during the Outbreak where no raid occurred.)
Curb on Crime
No Raids occur for 2 days, then Raids return to the moderate danger level.
The player can be informed of several events ahead of time (anywhere from 1-7 days) by listening to the news and weather stations on the Radio.
- All canon events will be predicted ahead of time on the radio stations (Outbreak of Crime is covered by both news stations, and the approaching Winter is covered by the weather station.
- The radio will also inform you when the price of various items becomes exceedingly high (thus increasing their trade value). The items affected may be Cigarettes, Coffee or Vegetables. For a detailed look at Shortages, see here.
- If a news station predicts an increase in fighting between the military and the rebels, certain locations will soon become blocked-off due to fighting. This is temporary, but if you need some vital materials from a particular location, you may want to visit it in case it shuts down.
- Approximately one week before the ceasefire day, the news stations will report that peacekeeping services are on their way.
Location Specific Events
Variants of a given event can occur in many locations. Most of them require the player's night scavenger to aid the NPCs of a particular event. Helping an NPC raises the morale of your group, while ignoring an event NPC lowers
List of locations which have events
- Brothel: Rescue the women being held captive as prostitutes.
- City Hospital: Trade medical supplies to the hospital for morale boost. This can be Medications, Herbal Meds or Bandages. After the shelling event, medical supplies can be scavenged after removing several rubble piles. Guards will instruct you to giving these back to the doctor, but this is not necessary.
- Construction Site: Possible encounter with sniper/spotter group. Killing them will reward the scavenger with the Scoped Assault Rifle.
- Decrepit Squat: A homeless man named Grisha will ask for food. If you give him Raw Food, Vegetables, or Canned Food, he will show you a hiding spot containing Jewelry and Moonshine. Note: If you don't return to him the following night, the homeless man will be dead and replaced with a different man. Upon seeing your character, the man will say, "I found him like that! Don't mess with me."
- Hotel: Rescue captive man on top floor. Requires a Lock Pick/Crowbar and a character that can fight off 3 or 4 aggressive, well-armed thugs.
- Sniper Junction: Help a wounded man bring medicine to his child. Pavle is able to avoid sniper bullets easily due to his fast running ability but even Boris is able with careful the correct timing. Feeding character to well fed status serves as an additional running speed boost.
- Supermarket: Save a girl from being raped by a soldier. The scavenger must either kill/critically wound the soldier, or allow the girl some means of escape (i.e. distract the soldier thus allowing her to run away).
Raids are events that occur during the night at Our Shelter. Scavengers, bandits, and robbers come and take supplies by force. Survivors are not only robbed of valuable items, but can also be wounded. If the survivors are unable to defend against the raids, they will become Sad or Depressed.
Players can defend against raids through various methods:
- Setting survivors to guard. Roman is the most effective guard, usually able to defend a fully upgraded shelter by himself.
- Building three Board Ups using an Improved Workshop.
- Building the Reinforced Door using an Advanced Workshop.
- Having Weapons (A Knife, Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle, and/or Scoped Assault Rifle) and Ammunition in the shelter for use.
Neighbor events are events that occur when a neighbor randomly shows up around 10-11 AM at Our Shelter and will request help or ask for items. Agreeing to help them boosts survivors' morale (in most cases).
On certain days, Playable Characters will show up at 10 AM and ask to join the group. Which day this event occurs on often depends on the starting group - most of the time, the new character will show up on Day 17 or 18.
Players can change the joining character by exiting to the main menu and reloading the game.