|Danger Level:|| Trading: Safe|
Approx. 7 Soldiers
|Useful Tools:|| Crowbar or Lock Picks x4,|
Saw Blade x3
|“||Those who aim at each other during the day, often trade with each other at night. These soldiers have a lot of goods and they're willing to trade, especially for alcohol or cigarettes, but be careful, you never know what to expect from them.||”|
The entrance to the Military Outpost is manned by the soldier Bojan, who also acts as the designated Trader. Characters can trade - preferably booze and cigarettes - for various supplies such as weapons, Weapon Parts, food, and medical supplies, though the exchange rate is not particularly favorable. It is generally more favorable to trade at the Garage, the church, or with the vendors at the Central Square.
At predicable intervals Bojan will leave his post to report to a superior officer. Entering the guard's post or climbing the ladder above is considered trespassing. If caught trespassing the player will be told to leave the area. It is possible to climb the ladder and not alert the guard on the upper platform, then lurk on the left of the roof until Bojan returns to his post and the officer walks back into the building. This can ease infiltration, potentially allowing one to loot parts of the first building.
Inside the guard's post is a locked locker containing some of the trader's inventory as well as additional random high-value items which may include weapons parts, automatic rifles, helmets, or body armors. It is possible to steal these items without being detected though timing and character selection is important. Stealing does not incur a moral penalty (tested with Katia), but killing the soldiers can make your characters sad (tested with Roman, Arica and Boris).
The military outpost has a lot of Canned Food, Medications, weapons, and Ammunition and around 7-8 soldiers with weapons. Clearing out this area of people is a challenging task but if you manage it is well worth it.
To open all containers and access all rooms you will need:
Saw: 3 (2 saws is needed to get the loot at the basement end of the outpost. To get the loot you need 3 lockpicks or a crowbar. The basement contains A LOT of ammo.)
Lockpicks: 3 (or just a crowbar is enough)
There is a container in the main entrance which contains various items from Clean Water to more valuable things like Medications and Canned Food and weapons. As long as the last item wasn't taken yet, the container keeps auto-replenishing supplies after two days. The container stops replenishing supplies after Bojan dies.
Strategy for clearing
- When Bojan leaves his post, climb the ladder and backstab the guard.
- When Bojan leaves his post the second time, backstab him quickly.
- The supervisor will head inside the second building after a while, backstab that guy too.
- Attract the last person in the building by making some noise via running around. Hide in the entryway alcove to backstab him when he comes to investigate the sound.
- Wait at the room before the courtyard for the guard to patrol away from you, then backstab him.
- The overwatch in the next building will rush down and attempt to find you. In the time before he gets on your level, hide in the room in point 5 to backstab him when he searches for you.
- Another guard will be in the next building so make some noise near a hiding spot and wait till he investigates to backstab him as well.
- First of all, if you choose this path, it's highly advised to sent Roman or Boris for the mission, and to have a shotgun equipped at least. The most ideal situation is that you can equip Roman/Boris with one shotgun, one scoped assault rifle, both helmet and military vest and a decent amount of ammo.
- The garrison is divided into half with one squad of four soldiers guarding each side. The distance between two squads are decently long that even gunshots will not alert one another, so you only have to deal with one four-men squad each time, making it actually not the hardest map to be cleared with direct confrontation.
- Bojan will be summoned by an officer and leaves his post soon after the player enters the map. Seize this opportunity and climb up the sentry tower in the trading spot. Don't forget to switch into firearm mode while you're climbing, or earlier once after Bojan has turned his back on you.
- After you reached the sentry tower, shoot the sentry with your shotgun. Since you shot him in a very close range, the first shot should be enough to incapacitate him for good, and you can quickly finish him off with a follow-up shot before any reinforcements can arrive.
- Bojan and the rest of the squad will rush to the scene as soon as they hear the shot, but they seem unable to shoot you on the ground level. Either they will aim at you in futile, or they will attempt to climb up the sentry post and kill you. You should have no problem in dispatching them quickly with your shotgun for either of each case.
- Loot the corpses as soon as you have dispatched the squad. The remaining squad will not be alerted under any circumstances, so you can loot with ease. The corpses should contain lots of assault rifles, ammo and a knife, and these should help a lot at clearing the remaining squad, if you choose to bring/brought a single shotgun only.
- Run through the building and walk once youre in the last room of the building. Stop and peep through the door. There are two possibilities:
- A soldier might be standing outside, close to the building. If that is the case, run a bit at the spot to bait him and quickly get inside the hiding spot at the room you're in. Stealth-ambush the soldier when he passes the hiding spot for a free, silent kill. Then loot the corpse.
After that, run out of the building and head directly for the sentry tower. Soldiers should spot you but they won't be firing at you on sight, and will be alerting other soldiers for reinforcements instead. You should have a lapse of a few seconds when they're doing so, which will enable you to reach the sentry tower. Once you climbed up—even if you just reached the first level—you're safe. They will not be able to fire at you at the open ground or inside the building, and you can repeat the tricks for the first squad—shooting the soldiers with shotgun (rifle if you managed to reach higher levels) when they go under the tower, or make themselves vulnerable while climbing ladder.
- Alternatively, the soldier in the open ground may not be standing close to the building, but will be standing right under the tower instead. In this case, climb up the ladder in the room and switch to your rifle. Shoot the soldiers through the opened window in the second floor. Scoped Rifle has a longer range and a higher stopping power but assault rifle has a better rate of fire, and it would be your choice on using which. You should be able to stop and kill most of the squad in the open ground. Even if 1-2 survived and managed to reach inside the building, you should be able to survive the combat with shotgun or assault rifle.
You can also watch this video going through clearing the Military Outpost: