|Ware Preference:|| Medications,|
|Unique Wares:||Saw Blade, Hatchet|
|“||I'll give you a lot for medical supplies.||”|
–Matey addresses the player
Matey trades all the different types of tools as well as other items.
- Basic Items: Raw Meat, Vegetables, Canned Food, Coffee, Quality Roll-up
- Materials: Components, Parts, Weapon Parts, Electric Parts
- Equipment: Saw Blade, Crowbar, Hatchet, Lock Pick, Shovel
- Consumables: Filter
- Weapons: Ammunition
Matey's exchange rate is very favorable when offered Medications, Bandages, or Herbal Meds. Even when offered Herbal Meds, he will say: "Exactly what I need! I will give you a lot for this!". Other traders will merely say the item is 'Interesting.'
- Medications: Franko will trade for 26 Components; Matey for 32+ Components (at this point nothing else can be traded and Matey still considers the trade "Very generous of you")
- Herbal Meds: Franko will trade for 20 Components; Matey for 28 Components (Matey gives more for Herbal Meds than Franko will for higher-value Medications).
However, Matey's exchange rate for some items is lower than Franko's. For example, using Katia to trade
- A Shotgun: Franko will trade for 26 Components; Matey for 17 Components
- Moonshine: Franko will trade for 13 Components; Matey for 12 Components
- Additionally, Matey will not buy Components, Lock Picks, and most tools from the player at all.
Other trade examples using Katia to trade during warm weather:
Winter weather and character selection can make Matey's exchange rate less than half (approximately 2/5ths) than what Katia would get during warm weather. For example, using Boris in winter weather to sell-
- Herbal Meds: Matey will trade for 11 Components + 1 Clean Water.
- Bandages: Matey will trade for 15 Components + 1 Clean Water.
Taking these details into account, Matey is one of the most valuable traders in the game, especially with a bandages and medication economy. The Pharmacist custom character uses 1 set of Med Ingredients and 2 Herbs to produce 1 medication. This can be sold for much more than the cost of the materials needed.
- Matey's locale, the Garage, may become inaccessible due to snow or fighting.
- If the player trades Medications (or even Moonshine) to him then the survivors will receive a morale boost.
- Giving Medications also impacts the recollection of events during the ending.
- Matey is currently exploitable as it is possible with Katia to sell Medical Supplies to him and then buy them back for less than the value you sold them for.