|“||My dad is fighting the bad soldiers. He is brave and won't let them into the city. He said I am too young to fight, but when I grow up I will be just like him. But don't tell grandpa, he doesn't like soldiers. Hey, do you know how to play war games?||”|
Selecting Ivano automatically pairs him with his grandfather Henrik. As a child he is somewhat of a liability but can be taught to do various crafts. For example, cooking, cigarettes, filters, toys, growing herbs and vegetables and so on. It takes longer time for children to complete everything than adults.
As a child he requires less food than an adult and can go from 'Hungry' to 'Well Fed' status by eating a single cooked meal. Also, He cannot converse with visitors, including the trader Franko. Visitors will always ask if there is an adult they can talk to instead.
|“||Good morning, my name is Henrik, and this brave boy here is my grandson Ivano. We see you’ve taken refuge in this building, and were wondering if perhaps we could join you here? The more the merrier, they say,and I can be useful too. When the going was tough, I used to make moonshine and cigarettes to sell, and I could do it now as well. So, what do you say?||”|
|“||Henrik and Ivano were unfortunate, but what could we have done? An old man and a kid - two more mouths to feed, with little or no use to us.||”|
Like other children, he can't scavenge outdoors(scavenging in the shelter is doable), fight and guard. What he can do is limited and mostly needed to be taught first. But it does not need to be taught to craft certain toys such as jump rope and ball. Same for using Rainwater Collector, meat or vegetable or herb collection from Herbal Garden and Trap for Small Animals.
If adults have not conversed with him for a few days, he probably will complain why no one talks to him. He will become happier or content by playing toys alone or interact with adults. Cveta are greater than others to console towards Child survivors. What mentioned in the paragraph apply to other children.
Ivano has close bond with Henrik. If Henrik gets wounded, sick or killed, he will become sad. After Henrik comes back the shelter, Ivano always asks why Henrik left last night and hugs Henrik next. Ivano's father who joined the rebels has huge influence on his personality. According to your choices in the story, his story and ending are closely related to his father.
- "I would play war games with my friends. We would form two teams and run around with our plastic guns and pretend to shoot each other.If you didn't have a gun, a stick would do. One day we had this great idea, you wanna hear about it?"
- "With rubble and sand we built a barricade in our front yard. We found an old pipe, and we put it on our barricade and pretended it was a cannon. We would pretend to fight off the soldiers, and shoot our cannon at them."
- "We had great fun, until one morning our barricade and our house got bombarded and some people were hurt. Grandpa was very angry with me, he said the soldiers must have thought that our barricade and our cannon were real and they fired their own cannons at us."
- "Grandpa said we needed to find another place to stay,so we went looking for a nice place, and we came here. When I grow up I won't need a house at all. I will live in a tent like my dad, and fight the bad soldiers like he does."
- "Dad said I was too young to fight. I was angry, I cried, but he did not change his mind. So he went to fight, and me and my friends would pretend we were brave rebels defending the city against the evil empire that wanted to destroy it."
- "The worst thing about the fights in Pogoren was that you never knew if the man whom you passed in the street wasn't working for the enemy. So I told my men to be extra suspicious. Better to shoot one more guy than let the fucker turn around and stab you in the back."
- "We had our plastic guns, but no tanks and no cannons or planes, so with piles of rubble we built a barricade in our front yard. We put a big broken pipe on it and pretended it was a cannon. We knew we would die fighting the enemy."
- "After the bombing, we had to leave the house and look for some other place to live. When we were leaving, I saw that my friends'graves were in the place where our barricade used to be. One day, I'll grow big and strong, and I will kill all the bad soldiers for what they did!"